Tuesday, March 25, 2014

First Day of My Life

Hi all!

I'm newly married and soon to be a new ex-pat. Well, kind of. I'm an Army wife of two months. Mr. R is currently stationed in Korea and Mrs. R (me!) is currently living at her very chaotic parents' house until she joins him in Korea! We were married on November 1, 2013 at San Francisco's City Hall. This blog is (hopefully) a written record of our first year as a married couple, and more specifically, a journey in self-discovery abroad. With a healthy dose of fashion, food, and fun thrown in as well!

                                  

                       
                                                  My dad and I at my wedding reception


Now that spring is starting, I feel as though my work is just beginning. As I mentioned earlier, I'm hoping to join my husband, A in Korea. We hope that I can get out there, uh, sometime soon? He mentioned to me tonight that I may have as little as a few days notice before heading out there. The thought alone of packing everything up and heading out within the space of a few days sounds a little overwhelming so I'm trying to figure out what I can get done now! Though trying to figure out what I can live without until god knows when has not been easy.

    

                                        Luggage: a wedding present from my parents!

We aren't taking any furniture with us because we don't have enough to make it worth while, which sounds like a good thing but is seeming more like a curse to me. There are a couple of different ways you can move in the military but from what I have gathered you essentially have three options: a full, partial, or DIY. The full move option is where movers come, pack everything up, ship it, and unpack it at your new destination. Okay, that's great but not everything here is going. Next time we PCS I'm totally on board but that doesn't make sense to me for our current situation. The partial is.... Well good question. I'm still trying to figure that out.
 Last but not least is your DIY which is exactly as it sounds. Only with a lot more receipt keeping and reimbursement that you could be screwed out of if you don't keep records very well. Which I don't. A is definitely the financier between the two of us. And I'm more than happy to keep it that way. 

Honestly, the thing that's keeping me up at night most is this: the fear of having to do laundry all through the night to be sure it's packed in time to ship to Korea. Then again, I suppose I have an unnatural aversion to laundry and it's usually in my mind because I keep tripping over the laundry basket. 

That's all for today folks. Catch you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment